Monday, September 11, 2017

Change in the Game Plan

Hellllooooo!

Thank goodness I'm really not flying solo
Change in the game plan. The companion I was set to train will be reassigned state side because of some stomach problems and we found out very last minute.  Luckily there was a trio in the mission so Hermana Cadena came to be my companion here in Funes. She is from Monterrey, Mexico and has been a member for 5 years and a missionary for about 5 months. I'm really hoping she´ll make me some mexican food because it has been too long. 
Hermana Allred took me to pick up my new companion:
Hermana Cadena from Monterrey, Mexico

The transfer meeting with the new companionships:
Notice who does not have one
So when I first got here (Funes) we started teaching an English class to Jose and his son Emiliano (11). Last week Hermana Bennett said that she couldn't leave without also sharing the gospel with them. So we taught them the restoration and gave them a Book of Mormon, sharing our personal testimonies. This past week we taught English and they came prepared with their Book of Mormon as well and we taught them the gospel of Jesus Christ and they accepted baptism. He is a taxi driver and works all Sundays but is asking for a Sunday off so he can come to church! 

It has been a wet, rainy, cold, humid, muddy weekend. (Not sure if Haylie has heard at all about Hurricanes Harvey and Irma) It cleared up for p-day which is always great :) 

This week in my study I came upon 1 Peter 3:15 which states:

"But sanctify the Lord God in your hearts: and be ready always to give an answer to every man that asketh you reason othe hope that is in you..."

Upon reading this verse I thought of many reasons for the hope that is within me. But more so recently I have been focusing on the importance of the Book of Mormon. This was something that Elder Texeira stressed a lot in his conference, how we should contact using the Book of Mormon. The Book of Mormon is the physical evidence we have of the restoration. In our Relief Society class yesterday we read many verses about the book that are found in Doctrine and Covenants:

"as your Lord and your God liveth it is true:" 17:6

"contains the truth and the word of God" 19:26

"proves to the world the holy scriptures are true" 20:11

"contains the fulness of the gospel of Jesus Christ" 20:9

"translated by God's power" 20:8

"given by inspiration" 20:10

"those who receive it in faith shall receive a crown of eternal life." 20:14

In the latest conference ensign, there is in excerpt from Mark Peterson, "from cover to cover the Book of Mormon is a revelation, an inspired translation, the work of God and not of any man. From cover to cover it is true."

I know that it is true. Day by day I realize more so the grand importance and the spiritual revelation we receive through it. I know that only with the power of God could such a book be translated. This sacred book is most definitely a reason for the hope that is in me. I love the Book of Mormon, and I know that through following the principles in it, we can have eternal life. 

Have a great week. I invite all to invest themselves in the Book of Mormon. If you don't have one, ask for one. You can also find one online. If you have one and are not reading it, pick it up and read a few pages. It testifies of Christ and I promise that it will answer any of the questions or doubts you many have.

Hermana Mathis :)



How many miles have these boots seen? 
The Classic Missionary shoe shot


No comments:

Post a Comment