Monday, November 20, 2017

Eye hath not seen, nor ear heard, neither have entered into the heart of man, the things which God hath prepared for them that love Him."


Missionary Xing
"As I stepped off the plane I contemplated the many months ahead of me. I thought, through my severe exhaustion, about what kind of missionary I want to be... I know that it will not be easy, but I can do it! Because I am wearing His name! I can do it because I have the Holy Ghost as my teacher and guide. I am excited to serve and hope to make my Father in Heaven and Savior Jesus Christ proud. As I go forth and serve with all my heart, might, mind, and strength, I will be blessed. The fear I have can turn to faith. Here we go, and when I say we, I mean The Savior and me, the one who does most if not all of the work. He asks us to be instruments in His hands. All I have to do is open my mouth." 

These were the words I wrote in my journal my first day here in Argentina. Little did I know all that was in store for me in this sacred time and sacred place. Little did I understand the depth of missionary service, and the joys that I would experience. Little did I know of the daily adventures and miracles that I would have. 

1 Corinthians 2:9 "Eye hath not seen, nor ear heard, neither have entered into the heart of man, the things which God hath prepared for them that love Him." 

God had great things planned for me. My love for Him has deepened through my service to Him and to my brothers and sisters here in Argentina. I learned that truly the best way to show our love for our brothers and sisters is to "go forth and proclaim the gospel of Jesus Christ."   

I have become more aware of my many weaknesses as I have come unto Christ (Ether 12:27). I understand that Christ invites all to come unto Him and to "be ye therefore perfect," though perfection cannot truly be achieved in this life. But Christ does hope that we will strive for steady improvement. And like Elder Holland says, "I am grateful to know that in spite of my imperfections, at least God is perfect...." And how encouraging it is that God is able to use me anyway!

I learned how the little things in life truly matter;I know that every effort made in the name of Christ is never in vain; I know that when we confess the name of our Father; Jesus confesses our name to the Father. The more we learn and follow our Savior,  the more power and happiness we will feel in our lives. 

Lawrence E. Corbridge states, "Your greatest work: your most important creation is and will ever be you."  Though one goes on a mission to help, serve, teach, love, and invite others, I know that I have truly been helped and served, taught and loved, and constantly invited to come unto Christ. 

I testify of the Lord Jesus Christ, whose name I have been so privileged to wear. I know that He lives, and that He is my Savior. God is good, and He love us perfectly. "That which is of God is light, and he that receiveth light, and continueth in God, receiveth more light, and that light groweth brighter and brighter until the perfect day" (D&C 50:24). I have felt this light of Christ flow into my life. It has illuminated my mind, heart, and actions. 

I know that Christ is at the head of His church. Yesterday I liked what the stake president shared in our ward. He said that the church is true, that it carries Christ's name, but it also carries ours. We are the Saints that are living in these last days, and how blessed we are to live in such a time. We need to strive to take upon ourselves both the name of Christ as well as the title "saint." We must be purified and made holy through Christ, thus becoming saints, more holy...

"More purity give me,
More strength to o’ercome,
More freedom from earth-stains,
More longing for home.
More fit for the kingdom,
More used would I be,
More blessed and holy—
More, Savior, like thee" (more holiness give me)

My mission has provided the foundation that I will continue to build throughout the rest of my life. I have had many moments this week where I have just broken into tears thinking about how short the time I have left really is. It is bittersweet, and as time gets closer and closer I think it is getting harder and harder to accept reality, but I know that God has great plans for me and I will continue to put my trust in Him. Through Him I can have true happiness and strength to overcome. 

Thank you all for your love and for your prayers. I have been upflifted and strengthened by them. I love you all. And thank you especially to my family who made it possible so that I could serve here in Argentina. I feel like I have continued to grow my family here and the connections that I have made are eternal. 

I am so beyond grateful.

Con amor, Hermana Mathis


Last Adventures with Hermana Ferre and some other special people
The Colorful Senoritas of Rosario






Our Favorite Graffiti





One Chapter Closes, Another One Opens


No comments:

Post a Comment