Monday, November 21, 2016

Happy Thanksgiving!

Hermana De Wet from Paraguay is my new companion
This week we killed it in the contacting. We are getting really good at handing out cards and getting cut off because the people here are always in a hurry. But amidst the chaos of this new transfer, new area, new companion, we have felt calm in the process and the members here are so so great. Like super great I love them. They are willing to help and they feed us lunches, and I leave their houses so full its ridiculous. We walk quite a bit and we have gotten lost quite a bit as well. Our first night we may or may not have walked to another street by the name of Gonzalez (the name of the street we live on), and may or may not have been lost for an hour and a half. The taxi brought us home safely though--a tad late but we lived to tell. 

We manage to laugh and sing through the hard days. Hna De Wet knows a fair amount of English songs, I am impressed. (Haylie said that they are mostly popular songs and that she doesn't speak any other English.) She is super funny without meaning to be. Poor girl forgot her nametag yesterday at church and of course it was when we were meeting a ton of the members ha so I joked that she was my mini missionary. pobresita. A bird also pooped on her but we laughed it off, easier for me I'm sure.

Yesterday in church was the primary program!! I was so excited when I found that out, and it did not dissapoint. Kids truly bring a special spirit into the meeting and the simple messages of the songs they sing penetrate our hearts, and they are messages I was taught at a young age that have always stuck with me. 

This week I learned that I need to trust in the Lord with all my heart. We show our trust in Him when we listen to Him with the intent to learn and to change and do whatever He asks. When we trust in Him and act in faith, that is when He will trust in us. I trust in Him and I know that His plan is perfect. I trust in Him and His goodness and his love and mercy. I trust that He never leaves us. I trust that He never will. We are told to "life up your head and rejoice, and put your trust in God" He will provide help when needed. 

This week we struggled to find people to teach. As we were thinking about how we could find new investigators I thought to send a message to all the contacts the Elders had in the phone under investigators, near 40ish. Well out of all the contacts, only a handful responded. One stated that they had moved, one had started going to another church, but one responded that He would love us to come over and was anxious for us to set a time to visit. So we set the appointment and last night we went to his house. He is an older man in his 70s who lives with his wife. (Claudio and Marta). Turns out their son lives in Spain and he, along with his wife and 4 kids were baptized there 5 years ago. Claudio called his son on skype and we were able to meet this family and hear the testimony of this son to his parents and the many blessings that his family has received upon joining the church. We expressed in our desire to help a family unite in the gospel. We were grateful to have met this couple and we are hopeful to see what the future holds for them. 

I hope that you all have a wonderful Thanksgiving and remember how thankful I am for all of you in my life. I am thankful for the gospel and the hope that it gives me. I am thankful for the knowledge that I have that this life is not the beginning nor the end. I am thankful to have guidance in my life through the words of the prophets and apostles, through the scriptures, and through the power of prayer. I am grateful for every day that I get to live, learn, and progress, for the opportunity that I have to wear the name of Christ every day and serve Him. Eat a lot of turkey and pie. Enjoy time with the ones who truly matter most, and never forget the one who made this all possible, the one who gives us everything. 

Les amooooo, que tengan una semana muyyy buena and think of all the things that you are grateful for! 

Con mucho amor,
Hermana Mathis
Mary Poppins on Walt Disney St. The Things you see in Argentina


No comments:

Post a Comment